Walthamstow...
Up and coming my arse!
As I got home to Walthamstow tonight after a lovely evening in Notting Hill, I was very quickly reminded of what E17 is really like...
Outside the shopping mall, I saw (well heard first, then saw) a girl being repeatedly punched and kicked by an asian guy in a black jacket with spikey hair. Two other blokes were in the area (and on looking) but did nothing... having worked on the door for so long in Brighton I automatically got stuck in. My first reaction was to pull the girl away as she was taking a real beating, soon as I did - she scarpered. I then gave the guy a good hiding (he seemed genuinely shocked by this - what did he think I would do? shake his hand!?) and then threw him out into the street. He ran away, and I took a minute to compose myself.
I have no idea what the situation was, but almost nothing warrants that kind of violence towards a woman (I say almost nothing, because some of the woman around here are just as violent and disrespectful as the men).
Is it worth reporting? No, course it isn't. I'd probably end up in prison knowing my luck, or sued, or murdered.
I just don't understand how the other two guys in the area could just ignore it. I know there is this "fearful bystander" culture developing in modern society because "its not worth it", but that is a self-fulfilling prophecy if you ask me... the more you let it happen, the more it will. I will sleep tonight because I gave that guy a taste of his own medicine.
As I got home to Walthamstow tonight after a lovely evening in Notting Hill, I was very quickly reminded of what E17 is really like...
Outside the shopping mall, I saw (well heard first, then saw) a girl being repeatedly punched and kicked by an asian guy in a black jacket with spikey hair. Two other blokes were in the area (and on looking) but did nothing... having worked on the door for so long in Brighton I automatically got stuck in. My first reaction was to pull the girl away as she was taking a real beating, soon as I did - she scarpered. I then gave the guy a good hiding (he seemed genuinely shocked by this - what did he think I would do? shake his hand!?) and then threw him out into the street. He ran away, and I took a minute to compose myself.
I have no idea what the situation was, but almost nothing warrants that kind of violence towards a woman (I say almost nothing, because some of the woman around here are just as violent and disrespectful as the men).
Is it worth reporting? No, course it isn't. I'd probably end up in prison knowing my luck, or sued, or murdered.
I just don't understand how the other two guys in the area could just ignore it. I know there is this "fearful bystander" culture developing in modern society because "its not worth it", but that is a self-fulfilling prophecy if you ask me... the more you let it happen, the more it will. I will sleep tonight because I gave that guy a taste of his own medicine.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home